[M COUNTDOWN Hall of Fame] Shinhwa’s ‘Brand New’
We’re launching a new series here at enewsWorld called M COUNTDOWN Hall of Fame, where we look back on some of K-Pop’s brightest stars - past and present - and their greatest hits.
And who better to help us kick off this new series than the longest-running idol group in K-Pop history: Shinhwa!
Shinhwa proved it still has it, picking up the Triple Crown for This Love on this week′s M COUNTDOWN.
This isn′t the first time Shinhwa has achieved this feat, however, as the first generation idol group picked up three trophies for hit Brand New on M COUNTDOWN in 2004.
In additon to the trophies, the song holds a special place in the Shinhwa members’ hearts for another reason because it was their first hit since leaving SM Entertainment, proving they could sell records and then some without the backing of the K-Pop powerhouse.
The track was composed by Cho Young Soo, who is known for his work with a wide range of artists, from Lee Seung Gi, SG Wannabe, FT Island and T-ara - although you may find it hard to believe from all of the booty-shaking in the music video.
Now that the song has you thoroughly pumped up, we have a short pop quiz for you! If you’ve been following our Shinhwa coverage, you should fly through it.
1. On which hand does master voguer Lee Min Woo wear his glove in the Brand New music video? (Hint)
2. How many daesangs did Shinhwa win for Brand New? (Hint)
3. Which enewsWorld staff member chose Brand New as her all-time favorite Shinhwa song? (Hint)
4. Shinhwa and Mnet go way back, having hosted audition program Let’s Coke Play Battle Shinhwa on the cable channel in 2005. Which two popular girl group members were discovered on the audition program? (Hint)
5. Shinhwa treated longtime fans to a special performance of Brand New on Mnet’s M COUNTDOWN last year. But Shinhwa fans in the audience had a special surprise for the group as well. What was it?
Hint: The answer is in the clip below!
Let us know how you did in the comments below!